I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. The upgrade was very smooth except that W10 does not recognize my 2nd hard drive (no issues with W8.1). The drive is recognized in BIOS but does not show at all in W10 Disk Management. I’ve read other discussions that the drive may show in DM and the fix is to simply change the drive letter, but DM only shows my primary drive as Disk 0 then my USB drives. No 2nd hard drive.
I’ve also started in Safe Mode but have the same issue, no 2nd hard drive.
Is there a fix available? Or perhaps is it possible a service is not running which needs to be turned on?
Any help is appreciated as I need to be able to access the data and documents on the 2nd drive.
Refer to the below methods and check if it helps.
Method 1: I suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter and check if it helps.
1. Press Windows Key, then click on Search bar.
2. Type “Troubleshooting” without the quotes and click on Troubleshooting.
3. Then click on View All on the left panel of the screen.
4. Click on Hardware and Devices.
5. Click on Nextand follow the instructions.
If the issues still persist, refer to the below methods.
Method 2: I would suggest you to try to check for the status of the drive in the device manager.
1. Press Windows Key + R Key.
2. Then type “devmgmt.msc” without the quotes and hit on Enter Key.
3. Expand Disk Drive. If you are able to find the driver for the external drive.
6. Then again right click on the driver and click on Properties.
7. Check the device status of the disk.