For many users, using ISO media will be the preferred method since you will have a backup copy for reinstall purposes if needed. Additionally for people with constrained data transmission, this will be a magnificent way maintain a strategic distance from the need to download the update more than once in the event that you have numerous PCs. So lets investigate moving up to Windows 10.
See directions: How to download official Windows 10 ISO documents
Outline of what is talked about in this article:
- Free Upgrade Offer Requirements – you can still get Windows 10 for free, see: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/download-windows-10-free/
- Notes: What you should do and know before starting
- Backup your computer
- What you can do before attempting the upgrade
- What are the official upgrade paths?
- Migration: Windows XP & Windows Vista
- Choose between 32 & 64 Bit
- Prepare the ISO File
- Troubleshoot product key
- Starting setup
Free Upgrade Offer Requirements
At the point when Windows 10 propelled toward the finish of July 2015, it at first necessitated that you began the update from inside a past passing, enacted variant of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 all together get it for nothing and to guarantee it would initiate.
Since the arrival of the Windows 10 November Update (1511) in November of 2015, exclusions have been made to this standard.
You can now essentially download Windows 10, at that point utilize your Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 item key to initiate Windows 10. You can likewise play out a clean introduce from the beginning.
How to install and activate Windows 10 using your Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key
If you encounter problems, you can always activate using Chat Support.
Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support
If you are still using Windows 10 build 10240, the following rules still apply:
If it’s not too much trouble know that you can’t utilize the free upgrade offer to play out a clean introduce on first endeavor utilizing Windows 10 Build 10240 discharged in July 2015. You should initially redesign from the passing form of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 (regardless of whether you do it through Windows Update or utilizing the .ISO record).
Guarantee the update is finished effectively and afterward guarantee that it is initiated. You can then proceed to do a clean install by using recovery media or using the Reset function in Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC (Get Started).
What you should do and know before starting:
- Gather all important application discs and hardware driver discs you might need to be reinstalled.
- Check the manufacturer and software developers website for updates available and to find out about the status of compatibility with Windows 10. It is possible that software, compatible with Windows 7 or 8/8.1 will work with Windows 10 since they share the same driver model.
- If you are using software such as iTunes or Adobe programs, remember to deauthorize and deactivate them before running setup.
Will upgrading from Windows 7 or later preserve my personal files, applications and settings?
Truly, updating from Windows 7 or a later form will save your own records (reports, music, pictures, recordings, downloads, top picks, contacts and so forth, applications (ie. Microsoft Office, Adobe applications and so forth), games and settings (ie. passwords, custom word reference, application settings).
Will my existing programs, hardware and drivers work on Windows 10?
Most applications and hardware drivers designed for Windows 7 or later should work with Windows 10. Obviously, with huge changes expected in Windows 10, it is best you contact the product engineer and equipment merchant to get some answers concerning support for Windows 10. Windows 10 arrangement will keep, redesign, supplant and may necessitate that you put in new drivers through Windows Update or from the makers site.
You can also download the Download the Windows 10 Reservation App and use it to check your system readiness.
How to reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10
Backup your computer:
When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup. See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1
Also review: How to manually backup and restore your files
Once you have installed these important updates and followed the prerequisite instructions, you should be ready to receive your free update to Windows 10 this summer.
What you can do before attempting the upgrade?
You can do some pre-essential assignments to guarantee a smooth relocation to Windows 10. In the event that you are utilizing a name brand PC, for example, a Dell or HP, go to the producers site for the model PC you are utilizing and download the most recent accessible drivers for that PC.
Store them on a circle or USB thumb drive. Significant drivers you should attempt to acquire incorporate Chipset, Network and Video Drivers. Its conceivable that they may have just Windows 7 drivers, those will work with Windows 10.
If you are finding it difficult to carry out some of the steps described below, please review detailed instructions how to perform them:
If you encounter an error regarding enough space to complete the upgrade, review instructions:
How to Install Windows 10 on Devices with Limited Space
- Disable (preferrably uninstall) your Antivirus utility before attempting the upgrade.
- Make sure your machine name is simple no periods or hyphens or dashes.
- Restart your computer a few times then try again.
- Disable General USB Devices (example – Smart Card Reader).
- If you are using a SCSI hard disk, make sure you have drivers available for your storage device on a thumdrive and it is connected. During Windows 10 setup, click the Custom Advanced Option and use the Load Driver command to load the appropriate driver for the SCSI drive. If this does not work and setup still fails, consider switching to a IDE based hard disk.
- Perform a clean boot, restart then try again.
- If you are upgrading using the .ISO file, disconnect from the Internet during setup, if you are connected by LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi, disable both then attempt setup again.
- If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 100% disconnect from the Internet LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi then proceed with the installation.
- If that does not work, try using the .ISO file to upgrade if possible.
- If you are connected to a domain, switch to a local account.
- If you have any external devices attached to the machine, disconnect them (example, gaming controllers, USB keys, external hard disk, printers, non-essential devices).
Run the System File Checker utility.
SFC/Scannow checks your Windows installation for errors and corrects them. This will help with ensuring that a smooth upgrade occurs.
- Click Start
- Type: CMD, from the results, right click CMD
- Click ‘Run as Administrator’
(Windows 8/8.1 users – press Windows key + X > click Command Prompt (Admin)
At the Command Prompt, type: sfc/scannow
This will check for any integrity violations
Restart your system
What are the official upgrade paths to Windows 10?
Microsoft revealed in a Channel 9 Video the official upgrade paths to Windows 10:
Windows XP and Windows Vista users will have to do a clean install from a .ISO, so will Windows 8.0 users.
Migration: Windows XP and Vista
Most importantly, Windows XP and Windows Vista are not qualifying renditions for the free update, so you would need to buy a full form permit.
Buy Windows 10 Home/Pro
Likewise, Windows XP and Vista clients should play out a custom introduce, any endeavor to begin the Windows 10 establishment in heritage forms of Windows will trigger the accompanying mistake message:
Find out additional: How to: Do a custom establishment of Windows
Additionally remember, the Rollback work in Windows 10 doesn’t bolster custom install, so on the off chance that you choose you need to return to Windows XP or Vista, you will have reinstall utilizing unique reinstall media. So take a stab at making a reinforcement of your establishment if this issues to you.
32 or 64 bit
My suggestions rely upon what you have installed. If you currently have 32 bit Windows installed, use 32 bit Windows 10. If you have 64 bit Windows, use 64 bit Windows 10.
This is to ensure a smooth migration, especially where driver compatibility is concerned. Another factor is RAM. If you have max 3 GBs of RAM, then 32 bit should be sufficient for your needs. If you happen to have 4 to 8 GBs or more RAM, then 64 bit would be suitable.
Windows 10 64 piece proves to be useful when you have to address at any rate 4 GBs or a greater amount of RAM. Windows 32 piece can use up to 3.2 GBs of RAM.
Since the memory address space is a lot bigger for 64 piece Windows, that implies, you need twice as much memory than 32 piece Windows to achieve a portion of a similar undertaking, yet you can accomplish such a great deal more, you can have more applications open, do things like run an Antivirus filter out of sight without it influencing your framework execution.
Windows 64 piece is safer as well, pernicious code can only with significant effort invade it, drivers are more dependable since they should be marked before they can work with 64 piece Windows.
With respect to similarity, you will require 64 piece gadget drivers for any equipment gadgets you may have. Additionally, there is no 16 piece subsystem in Windows 64 piece, which implies, your applications must be 32 piece in particular, not 16 piece installer or uninstallers.
Find out additional: How to: Switch from 32 piece adaptations of Windows to Windows 10 64 piece
Prepare Windows 10 ISO file
After you have downloaded the Windows 10 ISO, you need set it up, this is particularly significant for Windows 7 clients..
Subsequent to getting the .iso document you can utilize the inherent Disk Image copying instrument or Microsoft .iso to USB/DVD device to make a bootable DVD or USB (requires a clear DVD or USB streak stick of in any event 4 GB).
- After downloading the .ISO file, right click it and click Burn disc image
- Insert a blank DVD
- Click Burn
Windows 8/8.1 users can mount the .ISO file and start the upgrade automatically. Learn more here
- If you are creating a bootable USB thumb drive, make sure the thumb drive is first formatted as FAT32.
- Connect the thumb drive
- Open Computer
- Right click thumbdrive
- Click Format
- Make sure FAT32 is selected as the file system.
For UEFI based systems
On the off chance that your PC is UEFI based, these are regularly frameworks that come pre-stacked with Windows 8 or later, you should set up the ISO document for such an arrangement or you will get a blunder message during arrangement.
The thumbdrive should be designed as FAT32 and utilize the GPT dividing plan. To do this, you need to use Rufus, a small tool you can download for free.
After you have installed Rufus:
- Launch it
- Select ISO Image
- Point to the Windows 10 ISO file
- Check off Create a bootable disk using
- Select GPT partitioning for EUFI firmware as the Partition scheme
- Choose FAT32 NOT NTFS as the File system
- Make sure your USB thumbdrive in the Device list box
- Click Start
- Close when complete
Troubleshoot Product key
I downloaded the .ISO file but Windows 10 setup is prompting me for a product key or indicates the product key does not work with this edition.
Please note: The copy of Windows 10 you download must correspond with the edition of Windows you are upgrading from:
- Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Windows 8.0 Core, Windows 8.1 Core must use a Windows 10 Home ISO
- Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.0 Pro, Windows 8.1 Pro must use a Windows 10 Pro ISO
- Your currently installed copy of Windows must be activated. If it is not, you will be prompted to enter a product key.
- If you are using Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8.0 Enterprise, Windows 8.1 Enterprise editions, or volume license Windows 7 Professional you won’t be able to use the free upgrade offer.
For the motivations behind this article, I will update a Windows 7 working framework. As should be obvious, its a standard establishment with an individual document on the work area and a few records put away in File Explorer. The methods are the equivalent for Windows 8/8.1
Windows 7 work area fit to be moved up to Windows 10
Once the ISO file is mounted or you have inserted your installation media, click Run Setup when the Autoplay dialog appears. If it does not appear, browse the Windows 10 install media and double click setup to begin.
Acknowledge the End User License Agreement at that point click Accept
Pause while Windows 10 arrangement checks for accessible updates for your framework that may assist with guaranteeing a smooth overhaul
Keep on pausing
At the ‘Ready to install’ screen you are presented with a summary which includes the task to be completed:
- Install Windows 10
- Keep Windows Settings, personal files and apps
- Click Change what to keep and make any necessary adjustments.
- Once satisfied, click Install
ImageWindows 10 arrangement will at that point change to full screen, pause while arrangement introduces. Your PC will be restarted naturally.
Subsequent to restarting, Windows logo will show up on screen, this may be here for some time, as long as you see the indicater, everything ought to be alright.
Here you are given the new arrangement experience that gives a circular advancement pointer of the establishment progress. At the point when complete, you will see the Getting prepared warning show up on screen. As noticed, your PC will restart during this period of arrangement.
Sign into your account and click Next
Here you are presented with the Out of Box Experience. The Out of Box Experience page is where you get to configure detailed settings in Windows, which includes creating a user account, privacy, sync PC settings and install modern applications. For the purposes of this article, I will choose Use express settings
Wait while Windows finalizes your settings
Continue to wait while Windows installs modern applications.
Success! Windows 10 installed.
Launch Windows Update and check for the latest updates.