can anyone help, I can’t open .exe files, I have windows 10
***Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate / PC ***
I had the exact same problem : clicking any .exe file and nothing happening. I found a way out !
In my case it was caused by having previously changed the default Program File directory in the registry from C:\ to D:\, because I prefer to have System on C and space consuming Data and Programs on D.
It seems that Windows 10 doesn’t like it at all (it causes updates to end bad too).
To reverse it back :
– Since you can’t even launch Regedit because it is a .exe, first restart Windows 10 in safe mode : Shift + click on Start/Stop -> Restart -> Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Startup Settings -> Restart -> Choose 5 at restart
– Once in safe mode, search “regedit” in start bar and launch it with administrative access
– Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows -> select CurrentVersion, then click on “ProgramFilesDir” and change it back to “C:\Program Files”.
– Also click on “ProgramFilesDir (x86)” and change it back to “C:\Program Files (x86)”.
– Then quit Regedit and restart.
Once doing this, I was able again to launch any .exe file in normal mode.