Today my bluetooth mouse and keyboard suddenly stopped working. After I tried to troubleshoot myself bluetooth is no longer appearing in device manager. Here is the series of events as best I remember;
– I tried removing and re-adding the devices but it didn’t work so I tried to find the bluetooth on/off button. However I don’t think the current version of Windows 10 has one, so I went to the device manager to find my bluetooth.
– In device manager I tried updating bluetooth drivers. After the update (and computer restart) bluetooth was missing from device manager. So I used windows troubleshooter as was told no bluetooth device exists on my computer. When I navigate to bluetooth settings it now says “bluetooth is turned off” under my devices and “can’t connect” when I try to add a new device.
– I believe at this point I did a system restore to a few days ago (before issue occurred). Issue persists.
– Then went back to device manager and found bluetooth is completely gone. So I followed steps on microsoft website (4th option down about not appearing in device manager) https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14169/windows-10-fix-bluetooth-problems-faq
– By showing hidden devices I found things that had bluetooth in the name under USB extensible 3.0 host controller. (sorry forgot names, didn’t take screenshots. Some were just the names of the mouse and keyboard, I think one was just generically “bluetooth”) I tried right clicking and updating drivers (no luck). At some point I looked at properties and saw code 45 (currently hardware device is not connected).
– Tried downloading PC manufacturer drivers (no luck).
– Finally tried uninstalling the device as microsoft recommends. However when I restarted my computer all of those bluetooth options were completely gone and windows did not automatically install the default driver.
I’m really sorry this explanation of my issue isn’t better. I’ve done support myself and I’m embarrassed at the lack of screenshots and documentation. When my bluetooth devices disconnected I didn’t think to document my steps because surely it would be fixed in 10 seconds. Instead I’ve spent 2 hours insanely frustrated trying to fix this. I know for a fact my laptop is bluetooth capable, but for some reason the bluetooth device has simply disappeared.
Thanks for all the information you shared. As far as detail is concerned, what we know now is sufficient enough. However, there are still some things we can do to try and resolve the issue:
1) Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.
On Cortana’s search box, type, “Troubleshooting” > left-click on the result > Hardware and Sound > open Hardware and Devices and follow the on-screen instructions.
2) Restart Bluetooth Support Service.
Press the Windows key + R, then type “services.msc“. Once the Services window opens, locate Restart Bluetooth Support Service > right-click > Restart.
After so, right-click on it again, choose Properties, then ensure startup type is on Automatic.
Once done, please restart your computer and see if the wireless keyboard and mouse are functioning.